Career and Technical Education
The Career and Technical Education (CTE) program provides occupational training in a variety of areas. Projected employment opportunities and industry standards guide decisions to restructure courses, add new courses, or discontinue courses no longer considered viable for the labor market.
The courses are designed to provide training to entry-level industry standards. Short courses are offered periodically to prepare offenders for specific prison jobs or to provide basic occupational skills training for offenders with imminent release dates.
An Apprenticeship program, registered with the Employment & Training Administration, Office of Apprenticeship, United States Department of Labor, provides training opportunities in several craft and trade areas. The concept of the program is to train apprentices in the practical and theoretical aspects of their craft through actual work experiences augmented by related training instruction.
Windham also coordinates On-The-Job Training (OJT) for TDCJ.. The OJT program provides the opportunity for offenders to learn employable skills while performing jobs.
CTE courses range from full-length courses (600 hours) to short courses (45 to 200 hours).
Full-length courses and skills include:
- Automotive Collision Repair & Refinishing
- Automotive Specialization (A/C & Heating)
- Automotive Specialization (Brakes)
- Automotive Specialization (Electronics)
- Automotive Specialization (Engine Performance)
- Automotive Specialization (Fundamentals)
- Bricklaying/Stone Masonry
- Business Computer Information Systems I
- Business Computer Information Systems II
- Business Image Management And Multimedia
- Cnc Machining
- Computer Maintenance Technician
- Construction Carpentry (Building Trades II)
- Culinary Arts
- Diesel Mechanics
- Electrical Trades
- Heating, Ventilation, A/C And Refrigeration
- Horticulture Specialist
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Hospitality Services
- Landscape Design, Construction And Maintenance
- Major Appliance Service Technology
- Mill And Cabinetmaking
- Osha: Construction (10-Hour Course)
- Osha: General (10-Hour Course)
- Painting And Decorating
- Piping Trades/Plumbing
- Printing and Imaging Technology
- Restaurant Management
- Sheet Metal
- Small Engine Repair (Outdoor Power Equipment)
- Small Engine Repair (Motorcycle/ATV Repair)
- Technical Introduction To Computer Aided Drafting
- Truck Driving