WSD - Windham School District About Us
Mission and Goals
Mission of the District
The mission of the Windham School District (WSD), in partnership with its stakeholders, is to provide quality educational opportunities.
Goals of the District
The goals of the district in educating its students are to :
- reduce recidivism;
- reduce the cost of confinement or imprisonment;
- increase the success of former inmates in obtaining and maintaining employment;
- provide an incentive to inmates to behave in positive ways during confinement or imprisonment.
Texas Education Code § 19.003
The Windham School District (WSD) was established by the Texas Board of Corrections in 1969 and shall be known as the Windham School District, an entity that is separate and distinct from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. The district may establish and operate schools at the various facilities of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
Texas Education Code § 19.002
The Texas Board of Criminal Justice (TBCJ) serves as the school board for Windham School District. The authority to administer, organize, manage, and supervise the daily operations of WSD is delegated by the TBCJ to the Superintendent, who may further delegate this authority to staff as appropriate.
Delegation of authority from the TBCJ to the Superintendent includes:
- Employing and terminating staff as necessary for efficient operations.
- Developing, implementing, maintaining and updating policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Organizing the district to improve operations.
- Overseeing fiscal management.
The Superintendent is responsible for implementing measures to evaluate the effectiveness of WSD programs, maintaining relations with the TBCJ and the TDCJ, and interacting with state offender family organizations. The Superintendent also serves as the governmental liaison for the District and is responsible for all contacts with the Governor's office, the Legislature, and other state agencies.
Business and Administration
Budget and Salary Schedules
Payments and Vendors
Career and Technical Education
Counseling,Testing and Records