City of Houston commends the Windham School District for its commitment

"The City of Houston commends the Windham School District for its commitment to enhancing the opportunities for former inmates and wishes the district continued success in its worthy endeavor."

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner recently declared December 10 Windham School District Day for the City of Houston. WSD Workforce and Industry Liaison Rex Rhone orchestrated this ceremonial recognition.

Dr. Clint Carpenter, WSD Superintendent, said he is excited for the district to be honored in this way.

The proclamation reads as follows:

"Whereas, Windham School District, established in 1969, furthers its mission of providing educational opportunities, and dedicates its resources to empowering incarcerated men and women in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice to transform their lives through academic and job training; and,

Whereas, Windham School District accomplishes its goals of reducing recidivism, reducing cost of confinement, increases the success of former inmates in obtaining and maintaining employment, and providing an incentive to inmates to behave in positive ways during confinement; and,

Whereas, Windham School District offers literacy classes and more than 40 vocational programs to approximately 63,000 adult learners annually to guide them in achieving a High School Equivalency Certificate, as well as industry-recognized workforce certifications. All of these accomplishments help students build careers and avoid returning to incarceration; and,

Whereas, Windham School District, knowing the challenges former inmates face when seeking employment after release, makes it a priority to help students throughout Texas develop the soft skills, knowledge, and confidence needed to successfully reenter job markets and society, as well as families. To meet these goals, Windham strategically collaborates with numerous stakeholders, including the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, a growing number of Texas business leaders, industries, and employers. Together, these alliances help Windham students acquire valuable academic, technical, and employment skills so they can become contributing members of society and to the city of Houston; and,

Whereas, the City of Houston commends the Windham School District for its commitment to enhancing the opportunities for former inmates and wishes the district continued success in its worthy endeavor.

Therefore, I, Sylvester Turner, Mayor of the City of Houston, hereby proclaim December 10, 2018, as Windham School District Day in Houston, Texas."

"The City of Houston commends the Windham School District for its commitment to enhancing the opportunities for former inmates and wishes the district continued success in its worthy endeavor."

Success Stories

Success Story IconPolunsky Unit Success Story -
"He [Mr. Leblanc] taught me things that even the guys rebuilding transmissions for many years didn't know."

Success Story Icon NEW - Tools to change my own life - "What can I say about Autobrakes? I guess I need to start by saying it's one of the best classes I have ever taken!"

Success Story IconNEW - I’m so grateful I took welding -
"I’m so grateful I took welding; I’ve come so far in my career because the things I was taught in that program".

Success Story Icon NEW - I learned to change my perspective - "It’s the education I learned in Cognitive Intervention class that changed me. I learned to change my perspective."

Calendar

August 2019
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Teach for WSD

WSD in Images

WSD’s Business and Image Management & Multimedia (BIMM) class offers students the opportunity to learn viable graphic arts and computer skills, helping them prepare for jobs after release.
Auto specialization students in a West Texas prison learn auto maintenance skills, preparing themselves for future employment as professional mechanics.
Offenders often experience academic success for the first time in a Windham classroom.
Female offenders in Gatesville, Texas, study to improve their literacy skills during a WSD academic class.
Texas State Board of Education Chair Barbara Cargill congratulates GED recipients during Spring, 2014, ceremonies. “I am very impressed with the program and with the commitment of the staff and teachers,” she said.
Vocational and academic skills are integrated in Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs, such as this Small Engine Repair class in Huntsville, Texas.

Former Student Survey