FAQs for Applicants/Substitute Teachers

Windham employs eligible, qualified retirees if the district is exempt from paying the employer pension surcharge in full-time and part-time positions. Typically, these are individuals who retired from the Teacher Retirement System (TRS) on or before September 1, 2005. Each TRS retiree is responsible for being knowledgeable of and adhering to TRS rules that may affect their retirement annuity.

No, Windham does not sponsor H-1B petitions for employment.

Yes. All applicants for positions requiring certification must be certified by the State Board for Educator Certification or be eligible for permit. This includes teachers, student advisors, library assistants, diagnosticians and principals.

Yes. Typically, Windham positions require full-time employment. However, some campuses may require the services of a teacher or other staff member on a part-time basis. Part-time employees would be compensated at one-half the rate of a full-time employee in terms of salary, insurance and earned leave. Individuals who retired from TRS on or before September 1, 2005, may be eligible for part-time employment without forfeiting their retirement annuity. Please note part-time employment on the top of your application if you are interested in being considered for a part-time position.

Yes. TRS membership is a requirement of employment. However, because a TRS retiree will not earn additional TRS service credit, a member contribution will not be taken from the salary of a TRS retiree.

The Windham School District provides health insurance for its employees. The state pays 100% of the health insurance premiums for full-time employees and 50% of the dependent’s premiums. The state pays 50% of the health insurance premiums for part-time employees and 25% of the dependent’s premiums. Other benefits include optional dental and life insurance, TexFlex reimbursement accounts and 403(b) plans.

The first of the month following the 60th day of employment.

No. The State of Texas application is a requirement for Windham and is the document used for interviews. Resumes may be brought to an interview for additional information. 

Yes. Feel free to contact the principal of the campus for which you are interested in applying. Work-site visits are strongly encouraged. Keep in mind that prison facilities vary in layout, atmosphere and operation. Therefore, you may want to visit each facility that you are applying with.

Yes, the Human Resources Office will send you a letter if you applied and interviewed for a position.

The length of time that it takes to hire an applicant varies for each person and position. You are encouraged to track available positions on this website in order to ensure that you are being considered for all positions for which you are interested. In addition, you will be contacted if required documentation per the application instructions were not supplied. Although you may interview, you must still provide all required documentation in order to be fully considered.

Yes. Substitute teachers must have a completed application on file in the Windham Human Resources Office and have full clearance and Substitute Teacher Orientation Training before they are placed on the approved substitute list.

You must have at least a high school diploma or GED. Persons on the approved substitute list with a teaching certificate or a degree from a four-year college or university in an area Windham teaches will be used first on the list.

Substitutes are paid $150.00 for a full day. They are paid at the end of each month for the previous month’s work

Windham follows the TDCJ basic eligibility and minimum standards when screening applicants and determining qualifications.